When people think of physical fitness, they usually think about cardio training and building up their muscles. However, the benefits of stretching make it an exercise that is not only worth mentioning, but essential to add to your routine. Stretching has a number of benefits no matter what kind of athlete you are. It is also good for anyone in any physical condition, whether you are a tri-athlete or someone only just beginning to exercise.
The Many Benefits of Stretching
At Studios Etc. in Palm Beach, we make a point to add stretching to each of our classes so that your body is ready for exercise. If you can take just five or ten additional minutes out of your day to stretch, you will see a huge all-around improvement in your health, fitness, and well-being. It is also great for a mind-body connection.
Some of the health benefits of stretching include:
- It is great for grounding. In the hectic world we live in, stretching allows you to slow down. A key component to getting into a deep stretch is to breathe as you stretch. As a result, your entire central nervous system will slow down and create a feeling of calm in your mind and body.
- It helps prevent injury. The more pliable and flexible your joints and muscles are, the less likely you will be to injure yourself. Think about your body like a rubber band. If it is stiff, it is more likely to snap and break. The looser it is, the more it will be able to flex into the positions it needs to, and return right back into place.
- Better sports performance. Believe it or not, you will actually get better at activities like running, cycling, weight lifting, and barre class if you engage in a regular stretching routine. Just like injury prevention, stretching helps to keep your muscles supple and minimize wear and tear. As a result, you’ll need less down time and you’ll be able to return to your favorite activities quicker and with less soreness.
- Stretching will give you an energy boost. Forget your morning cup of coffee! Instead, get up and stretch! One of the many benefits of stretching includes increased blood circulation, which immediately boosts your energy.
- You’ll have better posture. Stretching gives your body the coveted long and lean look of people who practice yoga regularly. Your hips will be looser to allow for more movement, spine elongated, and neck long. Stretching is a key factor in being graceful and carrying yourself lightly!
As you can see, the benefits of stretching are plentiful. And, this list doesn’t even cover all of it! We recommend starting with just five minutes of stretching in the morning, which is simple, convenient, and won’t shake up your routine. Stick to at least five days a week, and slowly increase the stretching time as you go. Before long, you’ll be telling others about the health benefits you have seen from stretching yourself!